My first week started out with developing a game plan for preparing for the GMAT. I would certainly recommend the forum http://www.beatthegmat.com. This forum basically got me started out on what the GMAT is and the resources and info that i got from this forum were simply amazing.
Since i cannot afford any GMAT courses, i developed a self study plan. This plan utilizes the following books/materials
1. The official Guide for GMAT review (amazon link)
2. Kaplan GMAT 800 (amazon link)
3. Kaplan GMAT Math Workbook (amazon link)
4. ManhattanGMAT sentence correction guide (amazon link)
5. Manhattan GMAT Practice exams (Link)
6. GMATPrep (Download from www.mba.com)
7. Flash cards - I highly recommend preparing your own flash cards, a very useful tool for daily review.
My first week also included a complete review of the Quant section of GMAT. I used the OG (hereon refers to the Official Guide for GMAT) to review the maths that i had learnt in my high school. I prepared flash cards for the points that i felt i need to review everyday.
How am i doing - well i think its too early to say but for know i think i'm on track.
For those interested, here is my GMAT game plan that i created - Download
Plan for week 2 -
Practice the quant section - problem solving and data sufficiency. my target is atleast 50 questions on each section and by the end of the week i plan to take my first diagnostic test from the OG to know how good i am at quant.
Thats it for now. Will be back with more updates in a week.
Wish me luck with the practice :)